Monday, March 17, 2014

Chpater 5 & 7 Subjects Matter


This week’s reading of Subjects Matter Chapter Five provided many examples on how to implement pre-reading, during reading, and after reading strategies into the classroom. Some of the exercises listed I was already familiar with, but the majority of them were new to me. I was intrigued by all the different strategies, and I could definitely see myself using many of them in my future classroom. Other than the multiple examples provided, one point I took from this chapter is that it is critical to work with students before, while, and after they read in order to help them understand the material. Just assigning students a text without any guidance or discussion is not enough. As teachers, we need to use activities and guided questions to help students make sense of what they are going to read, are reading, or are finished reading.   

            I also found Chapter Seven equally as important in this week’s readings as Chapter Five. In Chapter Seven, Daniels and Zemelman stress the importance of having a community in the school. I highly agree with the idea that the classroom news to be a home to trust, where students can feel comfortable going to their teacher for questions and concerns. It may not sound like much, but I have found in my own experiences that this can determine whether or not I enjoy a class. I remember having teachers in middle and high school where I did not understand something, but I was terrified to ask them for help because if I did they would get mad that I did not understand it the first time. As teachers, we must understand that not every student will understand everything we teach, especially not the first time we teach it. We need to have patient and make sure that students feel comfortable enough to come to us with questions. I think one way of doing this is to encourage students to talk to other students or their teacher if they have any concerns or questions. This is an important part of learning, and as teachers, we should be very understanding of students who may need extra help; part of our job to make sure we are reaching all of our students.   

Importance of Community in a Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment