Monday, March 24, 2014

Observation #1


Today I observed my first of four observations of my assigned teacher's class. I arrived at the school at 8am, and stayed for the first period class which lasted 70 minutes. The class I was observing was an ELA inclusion class that consisted of 12 tenth grade students. There was also another teacher present who was there to assist with students who had IEP's. When I arrived I sat down at a desk in the back to blend in the classroom. The class begun with the teacher handing out worksheets that contained sentences that were taken from the novel The Lord of the Flies. Students were told to try to find the meaning of each underlined word by using context clues or a dictionary. I noticed that the teacher explained the directions first to the students, and then did the first question with the students. I thought this was well executed because it allowed students the chance to fully understand what they were being asked to do. The students then took about 15 minutes to finish up the worksheet while one teacher coached students one by one on the sentences. While observing the class, I noticed that student engagement seemed high, which was exciting. Every student seemed to be on task completing their work. I also noticed the room was arranged in a horseshoe shape, which I liked because I was able to view every student in the room’s face, with the exception of the two students sitting in front of me.

            After each student has finished their assignment, the teacher took the time to go over the sentences as a class. She read the sentences out loud one by one, and then asked students to share their answers. I thought this was nice because it gave students a voice, and I noticed that almost the entire class had taken a turn to speak by the time the worksheet review was over. There were a couple of shy students, but the teacher sought them out and had them share their answers just like the rest of the class. This was nice to see because it enabled each student to learn because every student was expected to speak, everyone was required to be alert.

After the worksheet review was finished, the teacher had students read the novel The Lord of the Flies aloud, with each student having a different character to read. This started off well, but then I noticed that only three students had the opportunity to speak at this part of the book. I noticed that during the 20 minute reading session, two students had their hands down on their desk and their books closed. Another student was drawing a picture and had his book away. Other than three students, the class seemed to be engaged in the text. I also noticed that the teacher would stop from time to time and discuss what was being read, and would stop and ask predications before reading a new chapter. This ties into the pre-reading and during reading activities, and this teacher was doing well keeping most students engaged with the text. After finishing up the chapter, the books were closed, and the teacher quickly gave out homework instructions before the bell rang. I think this class over all went smoothly. However I think there is room for improvement with the read aloud assignments because I believe every student should have a line to say during each class in order to stay alert and engaged in the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment